On Sunday, December 6th we kicked off this new series. We provided a lens through which we will see every part of the book and we issued some challenges to the church. I want to share some of that here..
John 20:30-31 provides the lens through which we see the book. It says: Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
There are three questions that come out of this verse that you need to ask of every story or truth in the Gospel of John. I'd encourage you to write these on a 3 x 5 card and put it in your Bible where we are teaching each week. That way you can remember how to see this book. Then you should go back to the text during the week to answer these questions in light of the text that was preached. The questions are:
- How does this part of the story enable us to believe that Jesus is the Christ.
- What does this part of the story teach me about having “Life in His Name?
- What does this part of the story teach me about responding rightly to Jesus?
- Read the entire Gospel of John before the end of December.
- Each week read the text that is coming for the next Sunday at least 3 different days.
- Memorize the verse (s) we will provide each week throughout this book.
Lets get busy sharing Jesus!!